Skip to main content

The Geography Student Introduction

Hello earth! My name is Myfanwy Brown and and I am sixteen years old. 
I am currently studying Geography in the UK as one of my A levels. I am starting a blog during this period of self isolation to educate people on both culture and the environment. 


Picture provided by Pexels
Cultural diversity is decreasing due to globalization as western culture is adopted by an increasing number of people. I believe it is important to recognize and celebrate the numerous traditions, languages, foodstuffs and clothing that are beautiful examples of how different and unique each culture is. I intend to publish an article on the national day (or at some point that week because, you know, exam stress) of each country, detailing key elements of their culture.

Picture provided by Pexels
I will also be writing about human impact on animals, particularly looking at the effects of global warming, another topic I am passionate about. Therefore, I will also be posting articles on a variety of species on (or around) the international days dedicated to them (starting with rats - quite disappointingly), describing key characteristics, how they are affected by human impact on the environment and possible solutions.

I hope you will enjoy this blog. Please do comment with suggestions and your opinions. Your comments would be much appreciated in helping to improve this site since I'm very new to this. See you soon! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madagascar culture and traditions

Image by  skeeze  from  Pixabay   Happy Madagascar Independence Day! Madagascar gained independence from France in 1960 and commemorates its liberation on the 26th of June. Though often associated with the movie Madagascar, it isn't just Lemurs who like to "move it." As usual, I have found ten facts about the culture of the island that I thought were fascinating.  1. It's astrologers who decide on the wedding day, or the stars I should say, for those of the Betsileos tribe. Madagascar has many unique customs when it comes to marriage, such as the Bara tribe's sacrifice of a cow to signify the marriage bond, and the Betsileos conducting of a lengthy analysis of their partner's family history before deciding on an engagement.  Image by  aga2rk  from  Pixabay   2. Quite admirably, despite the impact of colonization, globalization, and tourism, some Malagasy continue to wear traditional clothing, or a mix of western t-shirts and Malagasy wra...

Global Warming and Rats: Threatened or a Threat?

Photo by DSD from Pexels Today is world rat day. This is the national day dedicated to rats which, if temperatures continue to increase exponentially, may be a serious threat to human lifestyle in the future as carriers of disease. Rat populations are predicted to increase by up to ten times in some areas due to global warming according to Dr Graeme Elliott, cited in  The Guardian, 2018 . Description Medium-sized, usually furry, long-tailed rodents Habitat Found in most countries, particularly in cities Population Unknown, though estimated to be billions Eat Pretty much anything, such as cereals, oats, rice and vegetables Predators Numerous, such as snakes, red foxes, hawks and humans Species Numerous, such as kangaroo rats, black rats, cotton rats Class Mammals Endangered? No Global warming is threatening to endanger thousands of sensitive species. But not rats. Quite the opposite in fact. For centuries humans have struggled in vain...

Holland: culture and traditions

Image by  Ansgar Scheffold  from  Pixabay The 27th April is the Netherlands' king's birthday, the national day of the Netherlands. To celebrate this day, I've found ten fascinating facts about the Netherlands.  1. The Netherlands is the 6th happiest country in the world, according to the World Happiness Report. I'm sure all teens will agree with me when I say teenage years are far from easy, but Dutch adolescents are ranked among the least stressed in the world. This is even more surprising when compared to other developed countries in Europe, where depression and suicide rates are increasing. So why are the Dutch so happy? According to de Roos, from the Netherlands Institute for Social Research (SCP), it is as simple as maintaining positive surroundings, in school, home, and with people. Also, Dutch children are more likely to eat breakfast, less likely to be overweight and less likely to have had underage sex. Children have more freedom and independence ...